We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Click here to download the True Rail Employment Application
Email completed application to email@example.com or drop it by the office.
Safety is a way of life at True Rail encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by an extensive safety policy, True Rail works relentlessly to protect our employees, their families, and the communities we serve.
The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates’ safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
At True Rail, we are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career.
True Rail is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Inspect and repair rail cars.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Perform all welding and paint rail cars
- Cut metal, sandblast, replace doors and general car construction
- Inspect car components for compliance with FRA, Association of American Railroads (AAR) and True Rail standards
- Identify or analyze defective components and indicate the necessary corrective action
- Inspect and salvage parts from dismantled and/or scrapped cars
- Inspect and apply end-of-train device and perform airbrake tests
- Clean, lubricate and maintain tie-down devices and other special equipment on railroad cars
- Remove and replace couplers, draft gears and yokes
- Inspect, replace and/or repair gaskets, air hose, train line, bulkhead and other interior load restraining equipment, steel sections such as side sheets, crossbearers, crossties and underframing
- Paint cars and car components; stencil letters and numbers on cars
- Build and/or repair components such as freight doors, wooden floors, or interior walls
- Fabricate large jigs and fixtures and use them to assemble parts on car
- Straighten, fabricate, and replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, brackets, steps, and patching components
- Operate light and heavy cranes, forklifts, and other shop equipment
- Operate various vehicles on the job site
Pay rate information is subject to change based ability, experience and, if applicable, may vary by location.
You will be required to attend paid training as required by True Rail. Please note that training may occur outside of your work location.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver’s License
- Mechanical experience
- One year mechanical work experience or training
- One or more years of welding and fabrication experience
- Five or more years of welding and fabrication experience
- Journeyman Carman
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications–both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 60 pounds occasionally and up to 85 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Walking long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots and safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examination
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug screen
- Must pass a background screening
Work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and at elevated heights.